Wednesday, August 15, 2007

They Don't Serve Beer in Hell, Tucker Max


We landed in Kuwait at 2236 hours local time on 13 August 2007. Though it was night, temperature on the ground was 105° F.

Here are some things you might not know about the heat in Kuwait:

  • The wind blows, but it's feels as good as having a full-body blow-dryer on you when you're already standing inside an oven.

  • The heat is dry, so that I just wither. Most of the time, I don't even feel like I'm sweating--the air just sucks the moisture right out of me. It's only when I step inside an air-conditioned area that I become covered in sweat.

  • I can't open my mouth or speak for more than a few sentences without coating the back of my throat with a layer of dust.

  • There is sand everywhere, and it is very hottt sand.

  • I sleep during the worst of the midday heat (120° F+!!) inside of a tent with A/C. I lie 5 feet from the vent and I'm still sleeping in my own sweat.

Other than the weather, things are fine here. We have the option of four meals a day here if we want (midnight chow!).

I got very depressed on the plane ride over here because I wanted a Vodka tonic very badly and it really hit me that I won't be able to drink for the next 15 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment